qemu-stable

RDMA migration is slower than TCP migration

From: Roja Eswaran
Subject: RDMA migration is slower than TCP migration
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 08:08:35 -0400

Hello everyone,

I have encountered a problem regarding the migration process using RDMA, which seems to have a longer total time compared to TCP.

Here are the relevant details:
- Network configuration: Mellanox ConnectX-3 Pro EN 40G NIC
- Software versions: QEMU 4.2.0, kernel 4.4.0

Steps taken:
1) Installed MLNX_OFED from NVIDIA as instructed.
2) Compiled QEMU with the "--enabled-rdma" flag to ensure the presence of librdmacs and libibverbs interfaces.
3) Verified bandwidth using iperf for both RDMA and TCP. RDMA achieved 26 Gbits/sec, while TCP reached 20 Gbits/sec, demonstrating the expected superiority of RDMA.
4) During the migration of a 30GB VM at the maximum migration speed of 40G, I observed the following migration times:
   - RDMA: 13531ms
   - TCP: 13483ms

I'm uncertain about what might be causing this discrepancy. Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

--
Thanks,
Roja