qemu-stable

Re: stable-8.0.1 re-tagging?

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: stable-8.0.1 re-tagging?
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 11:23:22 +0200

On 30/05/2023 10.15, Michael Tokarev wrote:
Hi!

Yesterday I pushed v8.0.1 tag for 8.0.1 stable qemu release, but in the
process of publishing it, Michael Roth discovered a regression in iotest
which we all overlooked when initial patch has been applied to master.

The commit in question is this one:

commit de79b52604e43fdeba6cee4f5af600b62169f2d2
Author: Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com>
Date:   Tue May 2 17:11:19 2023 -0400

     block/export: call blk_set_dev_ops(blk, NULL, NULL)

It caused iotest 307 to fail, - qemu failed with Sig11.
And another lesson for me to learn, - actually 2 - first is to listen
to myself, since my inner self did think about running more complete
checks after a bunch of block-io changes which I picked up, but I didn't
think about that with enough attention. And second is to verify whatever
I "think" is true, instead of relying on own assumptions, - here, I was
sure iotests are run within CI infrastructure, but nothing really indicates
this is the case.

FYI, only a subset of the iotests are run during "make check" since some of them do not work reliable in all environments (e.g. non-Linux systems). To be more precise, only the ones marked with the "auto" group are run during "make check", and test 307 does not have the "auto" label, thus it is not run in the CI.

 HTH,
  Thomas