qemu-stable

Re: [Stable-8.1.1 11/34] softmmu: Assert data in bounds in iotlb_to_sect

From: Michael Tokarev
Subject: Re: [Stable-8.1.1 11/34] softmmu: Assert data in bounds in iotlb_to_section
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 23:21:49 +0300

20.09.2023 12:23, Alex Bennée:
..
I wonder if I should keep 0d58c6606 for 8.1.1 (the deadline is
tomorrow)..

Unfortunately 0d58c is not the full fix, it papered over one crack but
revealed others. It might be leading to a false sense of security. So I
would argue:

   - keep the assert - better to fail early than to fail later in a hard
     to understand way
   - toss a coin for the 0d58c66 fix, if we include it we may end up
     reverting later once we have the "complete" fix but at least its
     slightly better for x86 while definitely breaking MIPS

Heh. I've read this email just now, way after 8.1.1 has been tagged and
the announcement sent.

I haven't included 0d58c66 for now, without tossing coins - just to be
on-par with 8.1.0, or else it is confusing at best (which stable releases
brings with new issues).

This whole thing is definitely worth a 8.1.2 once the fix is in.

Meanwhile I pushed qemu with 0d58c66 and the "always require can_do_io"
patchset to debian, - this one fixed all regressions so far.
https://salsa.debian.org/qemu-team/qemu/-/tree/debian/1%258.1.0+ds-6/debian/patches/always-can-do-io-1866
https://gitlab.com/mjt0k/qemu/-/commits/staging-8.1-always-require-can_do_io/

Thank you for the thoughts, much apprecated!

/mjt