repo-criteria-discuss

Re: Please review codeberg.org

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Please review codeberg.org
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 20:19:46 -0400

  > Wikipedia says "In software engineering,
  > continuous integration (CI) is the practice of merging all
  > developers' working copies to a shared mainline several times a
  > day.", but it may also involve compiling and testing code
  > (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_integration) on a
  > server.

Thanks.  Now I know what people are talking about.  (I often do not
know the latest acronyms and can't be sure what they mean.)

Continuous integration is useful, and there's nothing inherently wrong
with it.  However, if a repo site does it for you, that is SaaSS.
So if a project wants to use continuous integration, it ought to do that
using machines under its own control, or machines controlled by various
members of the project -- not on the repo site.

What does this imply about question A5 for evaluation of repos?

Basically, the question is, should we deny an A grade to a repo site
for offering the continuous integration service?

I am leaning toward the idea that we should do so, but we need
to explain better that we're not against continuous integration as such,
only against doing it via SaaSS.

What is "continuous deployment"?