reproduce-devel

[task #15982] Generating SoftwareHeritage IDs locally

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15982] Generating SoftwareHeritage IDs locally
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 07:15:48 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

[A question to Morane from Software Heritage is in the end middle]

In the Maneage paper, the actual Software Heritage IDs (SWHIDs) are inserted
into the LaTex source of the paper, because we got the SWHIDs from the webpage
(literally, copy-pasted them).

This may cause a conflict between the git history of the SWHID in the paper,
and the git commit that is also printed in the paper. For example in the final
submission of the Maneage paper to Zenodo
<https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4913277>, the SWHID in Footnote 1, doesn't
correspond to the commit hash
<http://git.maneage.org/paper-concept.git/commit/?id=313db0b0> that is
reported in the end of the abstract.

This was happening because the SWHIDs are hard-coded into the LaTeX source and
I had no way of knowing them before making the commit!

This problem can be fixed by setting LaTeX macros for the SWHIDs that are
reported in the paper, just like the LaTeX macros we define for printing the
Git commit in the paper.

Fortunately Software Heritage does have a command-line interface
<https://docs.softwareheritage.org/devel/swh-model/cli.html> program that can
be used to generate the SWHIDs based on the Git history locally and without
needing to go the web.

If it doesn't have any dependencies beyond Manaeage's basic/always-installed
software
<http://git.maneage.org/project.git/tree/reproduce/software/config/versions.conf>,
we can add it in the basic installation step of Maneage to always give users
this LaTeX macro.

For defining this task, I tried to find how to obtain and install the 'swh'
exectuable mentioned in the link above. But I could only find this page
<https://docs.softwareheritage.org/devel/developer-setup.html> that apparently
describes the full Software Heritage installation (including the web
interface).

Morane, is this the correct page to install that 'swh' command-line program?

I hope it isn't ;-)! If it is we won't be able to do this due to all the
complex dependency tree. In this case, are there any plans to make a
stand-alone 'swh' command-line program that doesn't use anything except the
"basic" dependencies mentioned above (for longevity: because Python 4 will
come some day and there is no guarantee that it conforms with Python 3)?

Morane, you can directly answer on GNU Savannah by just registering on its
webpage and adding a comment here. You can also answer me privately and I'll
put it here.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15982>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/