[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: git repository out of order?

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: git repository out of order?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 01:45:33 +0100

Bruno Haible <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> Has the git on the savannah server changed? On 2007-01-14 I pulled the
> repo through
>      cg-clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/coreutils
> and did a cg-update soon afterwards.
>
> Today a cg-update yields this error message:
>
> $ cg-update
> Fetching pack (head and objects)...
> fatal: protocol error: bad line length character
> cg-fetch: fetching pack failed
>
> The cg-clone command that worked also fails the same way now:
>
> $ cg-clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/coreutils
> defaulting to local storage area
> Fetching pack (head and objects)...
> fatal: protocol error: bad line length character
> cg-fetch: fetching pack failed
>
> The git mailing list also mentions that some users have this problem, see the
> thread starting at http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/archives/git/0701/37550.html
> .
>
> I'm using git-1.4.4 and cogito-0.18.2 (this hasn't changed since 2007-01-14).
>
> Bruno

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for reporting that.

Yep, something happened on savannah that made git stop working for
everyone.  I followed that mailing list thread, and instrumented my local
copy of git.  Then, cloning shows the problem:

    $ git-clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/coreutils
    Initialized empty Git repository in /t/.j/coreutils/.git/
    error: protocol error: bad line length character
    <<<<<
    env: git-daemon: No such file or directory

    fatal: protocol error: bad line length character
    fetch-pack from 'git://git.sv.gnu.org/coreutils' failed.
    [Exit 1]

Something (git-shell?) is using env to invoke git-daemon,
but git-daemon is not in PATH.

I'll look into it in the morning.

Jim