Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] nongnu.org mirrors?

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] nongnu.org mirrors?
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 22:24:43 +0200

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 03:10:02PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
>     http://dl.sv.gnu.org/releases/00_MIRRORS.html accordingly.
>
> Can that file (/vservers/download/srv/download/00_MIRRORS.html I guess)
> simply be edited in place?  E.g., I'd like to add a pointer to the
> www.gnu.org page "if you want to be added to the list", etc.  My
> apologies if I'm already supposed to know the answer to this, but I just
> don't.

Yes, it's that file. I edit it in place, it's not version-controled.

>     Are the maintainers contacts confidential information?
>
> Yes, I think it would be best for us to treat them as such.
>
>     If the information is deemed private we need to setup some private
>     place to store it in.
>
> What we've done for the regular ftp mirrors is use
> a file fencepost:/gd/gnuorg/web/FTP.contacts.
> So we could have a parallel file NONGNU.contacts, say.

A fencepost file sounds good, except that not all Savannah hackers
have a fencepost account. Unless that's a problem, it may be better to
put it at Savannah itself. For example, our contact information is
essentially maintained in our ~/.ssh/authorized_keys.

>     'rsync -a' is not enough, mirrors need to use 'rsync -a --delete' at
>     least, and I'd prefer 'rsync -aHS --delete-excluded'.
>
> I'll tell the Greeks and update the mirror.html web page.  Also, it
> seems the bigsearcher mirror is not being updated at all, so I'll write
> them too.

Good :)

Next step is writing this automagic Geo::IP multiplexer we talked
about a couple months ago.