Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: GNU Planet and Savannah

From: Nacho Gonzalez Lopez
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: GNU Planet and Savannah
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:01:18 +0100

Hi all.

I was reading about planet and thinking about how reduce the bandwidth
consumption in GNUplanet and savannah. The main problem I see is that we
must to check 360 RSS feed from savannah for complete the information of
GNUplanet.

I think we have two options:

1.- Implement a GNU RSS feed in savannah for check. This feed must
contain latest news of all GNU projects. We will only check this feed
and use it to feed our Planet. This is a little bit hard to implement,
because we must to change both software (savannah and planet).

2.- Install a planet locally in savannah for use planet cache.
When planet checks a feed, it stores all new data in a cache and then
builds the webpage with this information. We could install a planet
locally in savannah for get all feeds in local (saving bandwidth) and
later "rsync" this directory from GNUchapters machine. This must get
only the updated feeds. You also can ignore GNUplanet hits in your
webstats, because the access will be local :).

I think the second option is easiest and we only must to make little
changes in planet (prevent planet to update the cache file if it isn't
updated or make a "intelligent" script that syncs only only really
updated files). No changes in savannah sources or platform are needed :)

If you are agree with me and let me access to savannah webserver (a
non-privileged account must be enough), I'll install and maintain this
mirror :). I already have a savannah account (nacho) but I think it's
only a web account without any shell access.

Best regards,
Nacho.