Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Two question which I have to pass on

From: Nicodemo Alvaro
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Two question which I have to pass on
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:32:00 -0500

The updated versions of the Copyright Act can be found below

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

Below, I found text for disc, records, or tapes that said,

"Under the 1909 law, courts have also held that the notice of
copyright on a derivative work ordinarily need not include the dates
or other information pertaining to the earlier works incorporated in
it. This principle is specifically preserved in the present copyright
law. Thus, if the copy (or the record, disc, or tape) "

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ22.html#derivative

I think the multiple dates are related more towards figuring out if it
is a derivative work or a revised version for the purpose of
registering it to the government.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ61.pdf

Sorry, to high-jack the thread with this. The gphpedit author wants to
place copyright and license notices in the files that he is copying
from other projects to make it . He says he got the authorization from
the previous authors to do so and that the gtkscintilla project is not
being worked on anymore. I believe it is neither lawful nor has any
point to do so anyhow, because it would be probably placing the wrong
copyright. What gets me is how does anyone know when the true
copyright date is?

--
Nicodemo Alvaro