Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] [sr #107077] Setting up bzr+ssh on Savanna

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] [sr #107077] Setting up bzr+ssh on Savannah.
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 21:27:19 -0400

James Cloos <address@hidden> writes:
>KF>   4. In ~jrandom/.ssh/authorized_keys, put this line:
>KF>      command="/usr/bin/bzr serve --inet --allow-writes
>--directory=/src/bzr" ssh-rsa <<<LONG BASE64 PUBLIC KEY>>> address@hidden
>
>Using bzr as the auth_key command rather than the restricted shell means
>that it will no longer be possible to archive the repos via rsync/ssh.
>
>It also makes it impossible to use sftp or rsync to look at the contents
>of the repo to debug issues, such as surprises from moved branches, repo
>restructuring, et al.
>
>Those losses should be avoided.  Anon-rsync would work, but rsync/ssh or
>sftp are probably the better ways to go.

I'm no longer recommending the authorized_keys method; I only came up
with that because I hadn't seen how things were set up on bzr.sv.  Now
that I have, I made a different recommendation -- see my later mail:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2010-03/msg00027.html

(We would still lose sftp, but we were planning to anyway.)

Best,
-Karl