Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Hosting requirements in avrdude

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Hosting requirements in avrdude
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:39:59 +0200

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:26:34AM -0500, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> April 17th 2010 for Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> copy in
> address@hidden
>
> >>*AVRdude still uses SVN, whose is slow and lack important features.
> >>I advice you switch to a modern DVCS; this is *not* a requirement at
> >>all, is just adviced for the comfort of the users.
>
> >The other points are good, but I think you can only get irrelevant
> >flame wars if you start advocating VCSes to users :)
>
> It was only a minor sugesstion.

I think I would feel it intrusive if I were the maintainer, even if
it's a suggestion.  As a result this makes this delicate message, as a
whole, sound more intruisive.

> However, most developers did get
> untidy and rude with the requirements (See thread
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/avrdude-dev/2010-04/msg00016.html).
> There was only one positive response
> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/avrdude-dev/2010-04/msg00018.html).
>
> Someone even prefer to change the references to "Linux" to "POSIX" in
> order to a avoid at all any reference to GNU
> (http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/avrdude-dev/2010-04/msg00022.html).
> Taking into account POSIX is a propietary standard I don't agree with
> Joerg.  I sugesst instead to list each platform as in
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/#Platforms but I don't see this in
> the requirements page.  What do you think?.

If the reference to "Linux" is somewhere hosted by us, then the
hosting requirement apply.  In which case, they need to distinguish
whether they are talking about the "Linux kernel" or the "GNU/Linux
system" (which, as we're talking about embedded development, may not
be easy to choose).  And if they disagree with that, that's a problem,
but we don't ask much, they need to comply.

If it's not hosted on our machines, then I don't think we need to do
anything.

The same applies for "open source".

I suggest trying to act with diplomacy as it usually make things
better than enforcement.

Spell-checking would be nice too ;)