Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Code of conduct

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Code of conduct
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 23:47:45 +0200

Hi Sylvain,

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 1:56 AM, Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:
> As you may have seen, I wrote a "code of conduct" for Savannah
> Hackers.

Thanks to your advice, I am wearing my new @gnu.org address for this
mail. I will try to remember to use it for official communications.

> http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/CodeOfConduct
>
> It includes a rationale about why it's interesting to have such a
> document.
>
> What do you think?

It is great, and very nicely expressed. There are a couple of
additional points I have been thinking of:

* We are here to solve problems, not to create or magnify them, and to
help people. Any compliance issues that we encounter need to be solved
in the way that best benefits both parties.

* As a corollary, admin privileges should only be used to solve
project problems at the request of developers.

* If you force the situation (for example threatening the project with
removal) you are incorporating two new outcomes into the picture: that
project maintainers decide to leave, or that you have to shut down the
project. In both cases everyone loses: the project loses an excellent
host, the developers will likely reject anything that comes from
@gnu.org from now on, and Savannah loses a project.

Feel free to add them, rephrase them or ignore them. I don't want to
preach as I have not been here long and all of you know more about
admin'ing than I do, but I do think that keeping these two points in
mind can be helpful. They have been useful to me in my day job :D

Alex.