Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Code of conduct

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Code of conduct
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 23:57:47 GMT

Hi Mario,

    They are named "Code of conduct",

That's the conventional name.

    but they give me the impression you wrote them as advices when
    communicating with Savannah users.

It is stronger than advice.  It describes the general behavior we, as
savannah admins, are expected to follow.  It's meant to be read and
interpreted by humans, not blindly applied to every conceivable
situation.  The general principles are the most important thing.

    I would like it to be locked,

While I don't have any objection, I also don't see any particular need
to technically lock it, any more than we lock any of the other pages.
Sylvain is notified of every change to the wiki (and I'm sure anyone
else who wants to be notified could also be), so spurious changes
wouldn't last long.

    and not to be modified further unless all savannah hackers agree in
    a modification.

I certainly agree that no substantive changes should be made without a
consensus among the savannah hackers.

    people discline to meet the requirements.  What It is supposed we
    should do in those cases, if not to fix the issues by ourself?.

It's never the right approach to dive in and change a project's files.
Project developers must take responsibility for their own files.

If you discover that an existing project X is saying "open source" or
"Linux", or otherwise failing to meet its responsibilities, then the
right thing to do is politely raise the issue with them, as
CodeOfConduct says: we're here to educate people, not police them.  And
it couldn't hurt to raise it with the other savannah hackers first.

If a project completely refuses to comply with our hosting requirements,
then they will have to move elsewhere.  Needless to say, that is
something that should happen only as a last resort, without a lot of
discussion among all parties.  (I'm not sure it has ever happened.)

Best,
Karl