Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git accumulations on vcs

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git accumulations on vcs
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 15:11:10 -0700

    If it was here, might the script have been changed to avoid killing
    processes which were actively sending data?

No.  The whole script is this:

#!/bin/bash
exec timeout 120m /usr/lib/git-core/git-daemon "$@"

It's the file /usr/lib/git-core/timeout-git-daemon on vcs, invoked from
/etc/xinetd.d/git.  I don't think it's in any vc.

I agree that it might be reasonable to change 120m to, say, six hours or
some such.  But that is irrelevant to the bug that timeout does not kill
the child after the stated period, and it is also irrelevant to the
original strangeness that git never hangs up, even after *months*, which
is clearly not an issue of "poor bandwidth".

Anyway.  If and when I have a chance, I'll install the latest timeout.
(More hung git's are accumulating already.)

karl