Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] internal.savannah.gnu.org web server acces

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] internal.savannah.gnu.org web server access
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 19:51:44 -0700

Ryan Doyle wrote:
> Yup, sure is. You could setup munin.savannah.gnu.org or similar and
> used name-based virtual hosting on Apache.

I don't think we need a separate virtual server for it.  At least not
yet.  I set it up here.

  http://mgt.savannah.gnu.org/munin/

The advantage to a separate URL though is that the service could be
moved from node to node without external disruption.

Except that there appears to be firewall blocking between mgt and all
of vcs, frontend, download.  It can only connect to internal.

> Also, if you are just interested in monitoring and performance data,
> I installed Performance Co-Pilot (pcp) a while ago on the savannah
> servers. It's got a bit of a learning curve but I find it extremely
> useful.

I didn't start out with the idea that we needed to monitor performance
data.  I started out thinking that dpkg and apt should not produce
errors when installing additional tools on the machine.  So I wanted
to fix that problem throughout.

But munin itself appears to have been broken since 2009.  So I wanted
to either have it work or to uninstall it entirely.  I don't feel
strongly either way.

But I do like munin and use it myself on my machines.  Therefore I am
inclined to make it work.  Monitoring and historical data is one of
those things that becomes useful later when you unexpectedly have a
reason to go look at it.

> Part of the pcp toolset is pmchart, this will display performance
> metrics in real time, charted in a time series plot. You'd run
> pmchart on your local machine and point it to the box you wish to
> monitor.
>
> Come to think of it, I should add this info to the wiki!

Yep!

Bob