Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] License for non-functional data in project

From: Felipe Lopez
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] License for non-functional data in project submissions
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 18:52:53 -0500

2013/3/29 Karl Berry <address@hidden>
Hi Felipe,

    http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.en.html#non-functional-data

Good question.  In general the idea, as I've understood it, is that
anything on Savannah should be includable in a free (or GNU) distro.
Since that's the stated policy for free distros, I don't see a special
need for Savannah to be stricter.  Does anyone have an argument for it?

I would err on the side of caution, though.  If in any doubt as to
whether data is "functional" or not, I'd assume it is by default.  And,
as that paragraph says, be sure that the nonfree data is copyable for
commercial purposes, not just non-commercial.

What's the submission that gave rise to the question?  (I assume there
was one. :)

Yes, https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?12519. This project includes some
images and audio files without copyright and license notices, and two of
them are university logos. So, I wanted to be more informed about the
requirements for these kinds of files.

--
Felipe Lopez
http://sirgazil.info/