Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] ikiwiki on savannah

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] ikiwiki on savannah
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 16:05:49 -0600

Aljosha Papsch wrote:
> After the little discussion a few months back, I experimented a little
> with ikiwiki

Cool!

> The basic setup (which involves installing the package and running
> ikiwiki --setup) makes four directories / files (where <name> is the
> wiki name):

Thanks for the info.

> http://ikiwiki.info/setup/#index6h2 explains changing the locations
> pretty well. For our case, where the "master" git is somewhere remote,
> this explains it well which config files one needs to edit:
> http://ikiwiki.info/tips/Hosting_Ikiwiki_and_master_git_repository_on_different_machines/

Perfect!  Just what is needed.

> Apart from moving directories around and editing the config files, we
> would also have to set up CGI in Apache (if it's not already done).

Apache will need some configuration for it.  But this part I think I
understand fairly well.  So I am not concerned about that part.  And
that part is also very easy to modify as we go.

> If you don't want to move directories around, ikiwiki also has some
> command line options, with which you can specify the directories.

I will look at those.

> What I forgot to mention: ikiwiki has really good themeability! When
> experimenting, I cooked up a little stylesheet which resembled the style
> used in Savannah's tracker messages. Unfortunately, the CSS file is long
> gone, along with the experiments I did. But it shouldn't be too hard to
> write it once more.

Excellent!

When you say resemble Savannah's tracker do you mean the gnats bug
tracker web pages?  Or something different?

I don't think it needs to match a particular part of Savane.  But it
would be good if it had a nice theme that made it fit into the overall
Savannah site.  A person can get whiplash if the colors and layout are
radically different between pages.

Bob