[Savannah-hackers-public] Making Savannah reach grade A in GNU Code Host

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Making Savannah reach grade A in GNU Code Hosting Standards
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 08:30:14 -0300

Hello, Savannah hackers!

As you may already know I'm in charge of maintaining GNU Code Hosting
Standards evaluations and, in particular, of evaluating GNU Savannah for
compliance.  In our current draft Savannah scores grade B, that is:
"Good enough to recommend."  However, the FSF, would like to launch the
GNU CHS with an evaluation of Savannah featuring grade A, that is:
"Excelent" --- after all it's the GNU project's forge.

As it turn out, this is actually very easy to achieve.  The only
criterion preventing Savannah from leveling up is A2, that is:
"Encourages use of GPL 3-or-later as preferred option."  The failure
in complying with this is remarked with: "It doesn’t make any
distinction between any GPL-compatible license in its hosting
requirements[1] or in the project registration[2]."

Therefore, I suggest adding a prominent sentence in either or both of
those pages to the effect of encouraging the use of GPLv3+.  Let me
know if I may help with something.

Thank you for maintaining Savannah!

Footnotes:

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php

[2] https://savannah.nongnu.org/register/

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) http://oitofelix.freeshell.org/

GNU ccd2cue maintainer
GNU web translation team coordinator (Brazilian Portuguese)
GNU audio and video maintainer
DMOZ free software editor (Portuguese)
UFU FAMAT PET member

[GNU DISCLAIMER] I'm a GNU hacker, but my views don't necessarily
match those of the GNU project.  Hereby I express my own opinion,
style and perception, in good faith, aiming the betterment of GNU.