Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Did the permissions on CVS lock files chan

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Did the permissions on CVS lock files change?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 02:55:08 -0600

Bob Proulx wrote:
> Karl wrote:
> > As I recall, there is some ACL or other magic allowing members of group
> > www (like you) to commit to other repositories?  Unfortunately I'm not
> > able to find the information now.  It is certainly plausible that
> > such stuff was lost in the migration (not intentionally/knowingly).
>
> Your memory is probably correct.  Because I can see no other way for
> people not in the project group to be able to access those files.

I find these entries in the ChangeLog file.  Almost exactly ten years ago!

2006-06-28  Beuc

        * Fixed that in Cvs.pm as well

        * /web/*/CVSROOT/history is now writable by project 'www' members
        -- perl -MSavane -e 'print join("\n", GetGroupList("(type=1 or
        type=3 or type=6) and status=\"A\"", "unix_group_name"))' | while
        read i; do setfacl -m group:www:rw $i/CVSROOT/history; done

2006-05-10  Beuc

        * CVS locks are now in /var/lock/cvs/(sources|web)/$project
        instead of previous /var/lock/cvs/(web)?$project

        (cd /sources/; ls; cd /web/; ls) | sort | uniq | xargs -n1 \
        ./generate_config.sh

        (also edited Cvs.pm and /etc/init.d/subsystem-cvs)

        * Allowing group 'www' to edit GNU projects' webpages: switched
        from the webgroup model to ACLs:

        perl -MSavane -e 'print join("\n", GetGroupList("(type=1 or type=3
        or type=6) and status=\"A\"","unix_group_name"))' | while read i;
        do find $i/$i -type d -print0 | xargs -0 setfacl -m
        default:group:www:rwx -m group:www:rwx; done

        find -maxdepth 1 -type d | sed -r 's,^./,,' | while read i; do
        find $i -group web$i -print0 | xargs -0 chgrp $i; done

        perl -MSavane -e 'print join("\n",
        GetGroupList("status=\"A\"","unix_group_name"))' | while read
        group; do groupdel web$group; done # groupdel is sloooow

        (also edited Cvs.pm)

        Now unused: /usr/src/infra/sv_update_webgroups.pl

2005-08-10  baughj

        * Installed an updated 2.6.8.1-dl380 kernel image which has support
        for ext2/3 ACL's.

Regardless it will need a reboot in order to activate the "acl" mount
option and that will need an FSF admin to safely accomplish.  That
must wait until they come online tomorrow morning.

Bob