Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Did the permissions on CVS lock files chan

From: Thérèse Godefroy
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Did the permissions on CVS lock files change?
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 09:54:43 +0200

Hi Bob, hi everyone,

Le 15/05/2016 00:38, Bob Proulx a écrit :
[...]
> Note that while fencepost has an IPv6 address vcs.sv.gnu.org does
> not.  Connections to vcs will be using IPv4.  Connections to fencepost
> from an IPv6 enabled host will be IPv6.

That explains a few things. But my problem is that right now I can't
connect to fencepost or to any FSF repo (Savannah or Email Self-Defense)
in IPv4, either anonymously or via SSH.

>> My router is a 10-yr-old Freebox. According to [0], the connection uses
>> "a managed 6RD tunnel that carries IPv6 over IPv4" (whatever that
>> means), and it passes all the tests.
>> [0] http://test-ipv6.com/
>
> I am only peripherally aware of the recent changes at the FSF
> datacenter.  It is possible they are using an IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel
> for IPv6 routing.  Those were quite common before IPv6 connectivity
> became common.  And even though IPv6 is 20 years old it is just now
> getting used and *many* sites have troubled IPv6 connectivity.  (Says
> me who is suffering through IPv6 problems on two other sites.)

I haven't had IPv6 problems so far. When a site doesn't have IPv6
enabled, the connection falls back to IPv4 quite gracefully. My current
problem is with FSF servers only.

> Additional the FSF implemented some type of 3rd party DDoS mitigation
> at the router level.  Because they have been getting hit with high
> bandwidth attacks taking not just them down but other sites near them
> on the routers as collateral damage.

That's an important point.
Is there a possibility that my IPv4 IP (88.177.30.2) would be
blacklisted because I made too many unsuccessful connection attempts?

> So many things changed last Friday the 6th that it is difficult to
> know which of the changes is causing the current connectivity
> problems.
>
> Thank you very much for your updated report!

And thanks very much for these clues. I feel we are getting closer.  :)

Thérèse