Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Gitlab trial setup for Emacs project (was:

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Gitlab trial setup for Emacs project (was: debbugs tracker builds character)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 21:22:14 -0600

Ted Zlatanov wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii wrote in emacs-devel:
> > Ted Zlatanov wrote:
> > > Group: emacs-devel
> > >
> > > Maintainers: can we run a Gitlab installation on FSF/GNU hardware?
>
> EZ> I think you need to ask this on address@hidden, not
> EZ> here.
>
> Eli Zaretskii suggested I ask if anyone can help me locating a server to
> run a demo Gitlab installation for the Emacs project. I can set it up
> myself if you grant me access, or you can run it for me. Ideally using
> the instructions from http://docs.gitlab.com/omnibus/docker/ as a Docker
> image, to minimize your workload and make migration easier, if you
> support Docker in that way.
>
> I've previously had access to elpa.gnu.org and have sysadmin experience.

The Savannah Hackers don't have access to set up new systems.  We can
access the Savannah free software forge as it is and nothing more.
And in fact we have been waiting a couple of years for new Savannah
VMs ourselves.  If we were able to set up systems ourselves then we
would have set up new ones for ourselves an eon ago.  The FSF is short
of resources to provide them to us.  The main issue right now seems to
be disk space and second issue is available ram.  So as a first pass
response I am sorry to say that we can't help you with this.

It is impossible to know the venn diagram of circles of administration
unless you are involved in them.  And even then I can't always
remember them all.  You can only come sit in the discussion and chat
for a while and peel away layers of the onion. :-)

The admins you need to talk to who can do the actual technical work
are the FSF admins.  You would need to file a ticket with the sysadmin
AT gnu.org which will generate a ticket in their RT system.  Or
perhaps to get momentum toward your idea talking with the gnu-advisory
mailing list and getting buy-in from the-powers-that-be there first
would be the right way to go.  That would get you use of the FSF
admins time and resources.  Going through gnu-advisory is probably the
most official path through the-powers-that-be.

I also recognize that there is a lot in common with a previous
discussion just recently in this group on this same topic.  The thread
that starts here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2016-02/msg00000.html

And specifically much of Assaf's response here contained a wonderful treasure
trove of detailed information:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2016-02/msg00002.html

> I've requested a subscription to savannah-hackers-public and will follow
> replies in the web archive until it's confirmed.

The mailing list is public and open to any subscribers.  There is no
subscriber restrictions.  However I don't see you subscribed yet so
will CC you as is typical.  If you have trouble subscribing please
write to the -OWNER address in this case savannah-hackers-public-owner
AT gnu.org which I expand to avoid the email address redactor in the
archive filter.

Bob