Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] vcs0 /var partition was full

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] vcs0 /var partition was full
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 22:39:08 -0500

Hello Glenn,

Many thanks for the quick action!
I'm very glad you still have savannah admin access :)

> On Feb 20, 2017, at 21:22, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> And indeed the vcs0 /var partition was 100% full.
> The size of /var was 3.8GB, and almost all of this was /var/cache/cgit.

Sadly the entire disk on the new vcs0 VM is 9.8GB,
so this was significant.
Thanks for deleting the large files.

> Obviously some limit needs to be put on the size of the cgit cache,
> or this will happen again. Looks like /etc/cgitrc has cache-size=10000,
> but apparently this refers to the number of entries. Does not help if
> they are all 500MB... :(

For now, I've reduced the number to 5000,
and also added TTL on static pages cache to 5 minutes (the default
was "never expire") and I suspect few of the large cache files were
for what cgit calls "static" (=pages with fixed SHA1 in the URL).

The new current settings in /etc/cgitrc are:
    cache-static-ttl=5
    cache-size=5000

We might want to consider adding a cron job to delete old/large files ?
something like:
  find /var/cache/cgit -type f -ctime +7 -size +2M -delete

In the long run (as Bob wrote before), it would be better to have bigger
disks, and perhaps put /var/ on a separate partition... one day...

Thanks again,
 - assaf