Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] insufficient permissions in web CVS

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] insufficient permissions in web CVS
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 22:40:33 -0600

Ineiev wrote:
> Jan Nieuwenhuizen, the admin of the newly created group 'mes',
> couldn't commit web pages (however, the write access worked
> for the members of the 'www' group).

I double checked user janneke and they are in the mes group.

  vcs:/web/mes# id janneke
  uid=69791(janneke) gid=1003(svusers)
groups=1003(svusers),1062(emacs),2418(lilypond),77664(guix),78026(mes)

Therefore they should have group permission to write to all of the
files there.  However I saw that the files did not have group write
permission like other projects.  Therefore I added it.

  vcs:/web/mes# find mes -type f -exec chmod g+w {} +

> on vcs, I checked
> the permissions with getfacl, and it turned out that
> the 'mes' group had no write access for /webcvs/mes/mes/.
> it seems to work now after I manually run
> setfacl g::rwx /webcvs/mes/mes
> and setfacl g::rw /webcvs/mes/CVSROOT/history,
> but other new packages like chord-sequencer also must
> be affected.
>
> Does anybody know where to look for the real fix?

I use the coreutils project as a reference.  I know it has a working
set of permissions.

There definitely seems to be something wrong with the way new projects
are created.  This isn't the first new project to have problems.

Bob