Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Request ability to push non-fast-forward c

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Request ability to push non-fast-forward commits
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 18:42:35 -0700

Michael Siegel wrote:
> I was able to clean things up for the repository's mirror at
>
>   https://notabug.org/dragora/dragora-website
>
> Now, unfortunately, I didn't know that non-fast-forward commits weren't
> allowed on Savannah.

That's the GNU hosting policy for community hosted software.

> So, I would like to request temporary ability to make such commits in
> order to clean up the log. Virtually no code would be lost in the
> process.

Against my better judgement I opened dragora-website.git up for
non-fastforward pushes.  So you can get them in sync again.

But I must advise you that regardless of other things that every time
a non-fastforward commit is made it breaks every downstream mirror of
the repository at that point.  That's one of the reasons its not good
for the main trunk.  I do realize there are some "next" and "pu" style
branching where rewinding is expected.

But this is the web site.  And you asked very nicely with the right
magic words saying it was not losing code.  :-)

Bob