[Savannah-hackers] Re: what's going on with Savannah?

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: what's going on with Savannah?
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 01:00:32 +0200

Vincent Caron <address@hidden> wrote:

> Alex Lancaster wrote:
>> I was wondering what the short (and long!)-term future of Savannah
>> was?  I heard rumours that the FSF was planning to drop it in favour
>> of GForge.  Now it appears that CVS is down (both anonymous and ssh),
>> is anybody maintaining the site?  If (as it appears) that Mathieu Roy
>> and Loic Dachary are no longer managing it, is there a current
>> maintainer?
>
>    As Marcus pointed out, the continuity of Savannah happens on the
> 'Savane' project at https://gna.org . The FSF chose to migrate to
> GForge (which is not precisely scheduled, but is a firm decision
> anyway) because it estimated that Savannah was not suitable for their
> needs and/or capacity of security and maintenance efforts.

In fact, the FSF USA talked about security; but as Sylvain Beucler
already pointed out, this argument does not make sense. We should no
longer use most of the GNU project because they had security
holes. And, by the way, it remains to be demonstrated which security
problem Savane would poses.

The FSF USA also claimed that Savannah was no longer maintained. Since
I met RMS a few month before this statement and we talked about
Savannah future, I assume he cannot ignore my existence and my
involvement in this project. So the only word that, in my opinion,
describe this claim is "lie". Why people may be led to lie is an
interesting point.

It is surely not nice to point out this problem. But things arent nice
anyway. It is clearly not nice to be forced to point out very very
disappointing attitudes.

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |