[sr #110546] git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/... fails with error

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [sr #110546] git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/... fails with error "server certificate verification failed"
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 22:08:15 -0400 (EDT)

As you have deduced this is a client side problem.  It is one that has perhaps
caught a large number of people operating older client systems unawares
however.  I'll post something to the web UI front page.  And then go look at
the pages you referenced and add hints there too.

I am surprised that you found Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 18.04 affected since as
I understood it those were still under LTS support and I presume would have
updates available to them.  Debian has posted patches for their LTS suites.  I
looked at Debian 9 "Stretch", which is now N-2 releases old, and found it has
been LTS patched.

References to Debian patches.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-lts/2021/09/msg00008.html

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110546>