screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #63341] Copy mode (Ctrl-A ESC) blocks stdout

From: Paul Marks
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #63341] Copy mode (Ctrl-A ESC) blocks stdout
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 19:40:17 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #2, bug #63341 (project screen):

[comment #1 comment #1:]
> To me, it's not a bug and screen behaves as expected. When you enter copy
mode, you "pause" the output. screen stops reading the output of the slave and
focuses on you selecting what to copy out of what has been output up to that
point.

You are describing what screen currently does, but what do users expect it to
do? Say Bob runs a bunch of code within screen. It stays running even if his
terminal explodes. Would Bob expect a feature named "copy mode" to permanently
interrupt execution, even after detaching?  Copy mode at least needs an *###
EXECUTION HALTED ###* banner to communicate its severity.

> If it were to still read the slave's output while at the same time letting
you inspect and copy the earlier output it would potentially have to be able
to store indefinite amount of output.

The memory requirement is only 2X: when entering copy mode, duplicate the
history buffer. Execution proceeds "in the background" using its own buffer.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?63341>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.gnu.org/