skribilo-users

Re: Bug tracker for skribilo

From: indieterminacy
Subject: Re: Bug tracker for skribilo
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 14:00:13 +0100

Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
>
> Hi Ludo,
>
>> I’m happy to let you apply, if you don’t mind.
>
> Sure, the process is underway! See
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-debbugs/2022-03/msg00001.html
>
>> BTW, I really enjoyed your talk at the Guix Days and the great proposals
>> you made.  I’d be happy to give a hand to push some of the ideas you
>> presented!  Maybe we need a hackathon to get started?
>
> Yes, definitely, plenty of ideas and lots of work to do! I think we
> should meet up online more often. Guix Days once a year is too
> infrequent. I'm thinking once every 3 or 4 months. It can get pretty
> lonely working on Guix with no one to talk to.

Seconded.

I may not have had such a wonderful couple of years following my chance
to see the Guix community and benefit from their insights and ambition.

While I had the fortune to pop in from Brussels multiple remote events
should grow the community and energise it so that face-to-face activity
can be more impactful.

> Another idea that I didn't mention in the talk, is that we should use
> Skribilo for the Guix manual! :-) It would be good for both Skribilo and
> Guix. The kind of gymnastics (preprocessing, postprocessing and what
> not) we currently have to do with texinfo is amazingly bad. "Documents
> as software" is a powerful idea, and currently the skribilo manual
> doesn't really do it justice. Imagine how much more consistent and
> comprehensive the Guix manual could be if parts of it were
> autogenerated. I'm all for developing skribilo into a full-fledged
> texinfo replacement! :-)

I also feel Skribilo has too many overlaps with Guix for this symbiosis
to be ignored or sidelined.

While transposing Skribilo and other formats is currently peripheral to
my (Icebreaker) project I feel that over time Id want to make it
interoperable with other document formats.

On that topic, does anybody have any opinions or considerations
regarding Groff?

Regards,

Jonathan