RE: ./configure fails, cannot find libmilter?

From: Ron Snyder
Subject: RE: ./configure fails, cannot find libmilter?
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:36:07 -0800

> But quite plainly, it's there:
>
> [erwin:local/src/spamass-milter-0.1.3a] numbski# locate libmilter
> /usr/include/libmilter
> /usr/include/libmilter/mfapi.h
> /usr/include/libmilter/mfdef.h
> /usr/lib/libmilter.a

Unless you've modified your local meaning of "locate", all that command
really does is show you that libmilter was there the last time the database
was updated.  While there still could be some problem with configure (or as
someone else alluded to, the library search path), locate doesn't carry much
weight to show that something is there.

> Just so you know, when I built sendmail, I added the
> appropriate line to
> site.config.m4 to include miltering, did a ./Build from the top level
> directory, then a ./Build in the libmilter subdirectory, make
> install from
> the top level, and make install from the libmilter subdirectory.

Having just gone through this process to upgrade to sendmail 8.12.8, I was a
bit annoyed to have to look in *two* :) different places to find all of the
appropriate instructions- specifically, sendmail-8.12.8/devtools/Site/README
instructs you to do a "./Build -c" from the top level after adding the right
line to site.config.m4, otherwise your m4 file will not be used.

I'd think that you would then need to do the "Build" and "Build install" in
libmilter first, before doing the Build in the top level.

-ron