Corrupted messages...

From: Chuck Yerkes
Subject: Corrupted messages...
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 15:53:45 -0400

4 way, 4GB Solaris 8 box (running at a load of 0.11).

We're testing out spamass (2.54 right now) with a group
of users.  We're starting to see problems and I've turned
logging way up to try to guess where it's coming from.

We're marking up Subjects ("Subject: SPAM: orig subj here")
and including the report in the body of the message.  It's
done the MIME stuff just fine so far.

The first symptom was that spams came through with no subject
at all and the spam was reported within as normal.

Then we got reports that the attachments within were 'corrupted.'

One of *US* got a message that was deeply corrupted - filled with
crap, various headers and a mush of 8-bit and, IMPORTANT, bits of
mail to OTHER PEOPLE.  (see below)

It looks like a file looks when several processes all write
to it at once.

So memory is corrupted somewhere.  spamd?  spamass-milter?
The milter code from sendmail?  I dunno.

I KNOW the milter code has stood up to heavy volumes of mail, so
I have doubts there (but have no ruled it out).

I've turned up debugging a bunch (Milter.LogLevel=9 and
"spamass-milter -d 2"

Has anyone seen this sort of thing?

Example of part of one (with various 8bit mush and a few OTHER email
addresses in it (e.g. To: address@hidden) :
0pam-Leveltt