Re: Weird problem with attached MS Word doc

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: Weird problem with attached MS Word doc
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:51:28 -0500

In the last episode (Jun 10), Thomas Cameron said:
> Is it possible Base64 messages could get somehow screwed up by SA or
> spamass-milter?  My wife is using Office XP SP2 on a Win XP SP1
> machine, and she sent me an attached MS Word doc.  The message
> arrived and it showed to be 163kb, but in both Outlook Express and
> SquirrelMail it appeared to be a blank message.  My next step is to
> bypass SA and see if that fixes it, but I've got to get her back on
> her computer to do that.

spamass-milter will only modify the body if the message is tagged as
spam, so it couldn't have done anything to this particular message.  I
do see one thing though:

> ------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C32E20.ECC747A0
>
> eJ8+IgQFAQaQCAAEAAAAAAABAAEAAQeQBgAIAAAA5AQAAAAAAADoAAEIgAcAGAAAAElQTS5NaWNy
> b3NvZnQgTWFpbC5Ob3RlADEIAQ2ABAACAAAAAgACAAEGgAMADgAAANMHBgAJAAAAMQAAAAEAGwEB

ms-tnef/winmail.dat is a MS-proprietary attachment format which only
Outlook can read.  Take a look at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q138053 which
tells you how to disable them and use standard attachments.

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden