Re: Spam Box

From: Chuck Yerkes
Subject: Re: Spam Box
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:10:36 -0400

Quoting Derek J. Balling (address@hidden):
> I know I can do this with procmail or Mail::Audit, but there's
> reasons[1] why I don't want to do it that way.
>
> Is there any way I can, on a per-user basis, have any mail tagged by
> the Spamass-Milter be directed to a given file (e.g., a "SpamBox" in
> their IMAP folders)

yes.  But it depends.
Your IMAP server has to be able to deliver mail into a folder.
That means +detail support or sieve support.  Which allows for
easier ways to handle it.

If your IMAP server is a Cyrus derivative, you might hack the
milter to change mail with the subject tag to
      address@hidden

But in that case, it's easier to have sieve redirect it than the milter.

The MUA can catch the tags on the mail suck (most mature MUAs
handle this fine, I dunno about Outbreak).

> [1] We've got a web interface that allows users to set a vacation
> message. Doing that mucks about with the .forward file, which is how a
> user would enable a per-user procmail/mail::audit rule

You can have sendmail on the IMAP server run all mail through a procmail
rule BEFORE the users' procmail.

If procmail is your LDA, then it can invoke a master ruleset first.

If you do it in the milter, you involve making another very expensive
call to change the <rcpt to>.

So *my* gut instinct is that there are many good places to do this
that aren't in the milter.