Re: Problems with -b option

From: Anders Herbjørnsen
Subject: Re: Problems with -b option
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 08:34:55 +0200

Reply to the message of Thursday July 3, 2003 20:22 +0200
>> Unfortunately it seems like $u will expand to both the
>> original recipient and the new recipient defined with
>> '-b'.

>It sort of sounds like a sendmail bug, if it logs the
>recipient deletion but still uses it later on.  What
>version of sendmail are you running?

It is 8.12.8 with the 8.12.9 security patch installed.

>Do you see the same problem when delivering to a local
>recipient (root/postmaster for example)?  I ran a quick
>test and "-b address@hidden" worked for me.

We're using MAIL_HUB and delivering everything to our gateway
mailer, so that's a little tricky to do.

But as I said, it only happen with mail sent to our gateway,
which receives the envelope with '$u'. Mail that is just relayed
through our system with the SMTP mailers is handled correctly
(i.e. the original recipient is removed). So the problem seems
to be related to external mailer programs receiving the
recipient list with $u.

I've also triple checked all the sendmail debug logs (raising
the milter debug level above 9) so I'm fairly sure that sendmail
actually believes that the recipient list has been modified.

I guess you're right in that this might be a sendmail bug. I'll
try to have a look at the sendmail sources to see what might be
happening.

In the meantime, we've rewritten our gateway to fix the problem.
A much easier solution... :-)

Anders