Re: Making Spamass-Milt respect virtusertable and aliases

From: Cassandra Lynette Brockett
Subject: Re: Making Spamass-Milt respect virtusertable and aliases
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:39:42 -0700

Sorry for the delay - I only just remembered the month rolled over and
updated my imap lists :-)

This issue has been in the online request entries for a few months (I should
know I added it), the issue here is in multiple parts unfortunately :-

1) Multi-recipient messages -> all milters handle these messages as a single
message - this is due to how email systems now operate, this means that you
can't do filter on a per-user basis for the email in a milter, at present
spamass-milter runs these messages past spamc as either the root user or as
the user specified with -u, which works fine in most cases - I personally
have been tempted to add a special spamme "user" into the database
configuration for spamassassin ranking all the mail for that user higher -
I'll need to look into handling that more though.

2) The "best" method to determine a local user is by running sendmail -bv
<address@hidden>. This provides back a display similar to the
following :- "cass... deliverable: mailer local, user cass", which is
possible to handle as machine-parseable, but takes a little work.  I have
written a patch to spamassassin to handle that, that patch means that
spamassassin never has a problem and just handles the situation, though
technically reading the spamassassin documentation and plan - this is
something that should be handled by spamass-milter.  I am sure that Dan will
work on it sometime when he has some time to do that - but I expect it to be
extremely low priority.

Basically that covers the two main areas of problem with handling aliasing
and such, so I definately don't expect them to be fixed quickly, and seeing
as I have the patch to spamd, I don't need it fixed quickly either.  It will
be nice when it can be implemented however.

Regards,
    Cassandra