Re: Log messages from sendmail (slightly strange)

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: Log messages from sendmail (slightly strange)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:24:27 -0500

In the last episode (Jul 31), Cassandra Lynette Brockett said:
> Due to various reasons the server here has been upgraded to redhat 9
> (not by my choice, eventually I'll be able to install it as a debian
> box but it's stuck with rhat at the moment due to software raid...)
> and now the redhat sendmail is addding the following lines in the
> system logs :-
>
> Jul 31 00:33:28 hotline sendmail[5563]: h6V7XLmo005563: Milter add: header:
>
> I have also seen the X-Spam-Report: header being added as well.

You should have always seen those two actually (plus X-Spam-Report if
always_add_report is set to 1 in your local.cf).  It could be that
RedHat and Debian install SpamAssasin with different defaults.

> I had not noticed before that spamassassin is being allowed to add those
> headers to the message... I had turned on -m to stop the messages being
> modified at all, and I've only started noticing since the upgrade.

-m only applies to body, Content-Type and Subject.  Spamass-milter
will always update X-Spam-Flag, X-Spam-Status, X-Spam-Report,
X-Spam-Level, and X-Spam-Checker-Version if spamassassin adds them.

> So, basically, the question I have to ask is whether or not it is possible
> to have these headers stripped by spamass-milter as there are some users I
> have wanted to hide spamassassin being run for, so those headers being added
> cause me some small problems.

Adding "always_add_headers 0" to your spamassassin config will tell it
not to add X-Spam-Status, X-Spam-Checker-Version, or X-Spam-Level to
non-spam.  All the headers will still be added to spam, though.

I guess I could also add a '-M' flag to spamass-milter that says "never
modify the message at all", which would have to be used in conjunction
with the -r, -b or -B options to be of any use.  Is that what you're
looking for?

> Those headers could also be causing the hits with razor2 when spamassassin
> is being run from the global procmailrc, but not from spamass-milter, so it
> would be interesting to see the results without this in there...

Razor does not look at headers, so that can't be the problem here..

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden