Possible solution ...

From: Daniel A. Deitch
Subject: Possible solution ...
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:58:31 -0400

Okay .. I’ve done a little more digging and I think I may understand what I’ve been doing wrong. Do I put the –u –x flags into the spamass-milter or directly to spamd or directly to spamassassin?

I tried putting the flags into spamd directly and it didn’t work either. The most helpful thing would be if someone could post their copy of the spamass-milter.sh or spamd.sh scripts so I can see a proper example.

Thanks.

Daniel

I've been pestering Dan on this a little bit, but more sources are always more helpful and I don’t really want to bother him if not necessary. I’m having a heck of a time getting this to work. I updated the milter from the source and now, when I add the -u -x, I don't get errors in the maillog (before I got "unsafe" errors and the milter wouldn't run) and the milter is running on each email. The problem is that it runs as root no matter what I do. I've tried putting the -x -u in every conceivable place that makes sense according to instructions, documentation and google results, but it doesn't want to work. It either tells me "still running as root ... can't create ..." or it just assumes root and doesn't give any errors at all. I never see the "setuid" or similar log line that I've seen in google results, just the "still running ..." or "cleaning for root", nothing that says anything about uid, user or the like. I want to have it identify the user by full email address (virtmap) and use their own user_prefs file, or default to "generalspam" with it's own user_prefs. Any and all help is appreciated. Samples of the code would be most appreciated as that's the one thing I haven't seen on many google results.

ViaVerio VPS v2
FreeBSD 4.7p27
Spamassassin 2.63
Current CVS source of spamass-milter

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance …...

See below for the original posts to the Tech Support forum …

Daniel

--------------------------------------

Original Post to Tech Support was:

I have the milter installed and it's scanning everything like it's supposed to. It's scanning everything as root though. I want it to use individual users uers_prefs files and most (all but one or two) users are virtmapped users. Very few users are on the actual main domain. Most accounts are on virtual hosted domains. I have been trying to implement the -u flag with no success whatsoever. I've also seen comments about virtualusertable support added to the current version. I have no clue on that. It's a fresh installed milter 0.2.x and I would appreciate any help as to what I need to modify and how to get this working.

ViaVerio VPSv2, freebsd 4.7p27
Spamassassin 2.63

Many thanks in advance.

Daniel

Reply from Dan:

Until I release a new version, the easiest way to get the virtuser/alias expansion code is to check out a copy of the source from CVS (http://savannah.nongnu.org/cvs/?group=spamass-milt), run ./autogen.sh, then make. You can then copy the resulting binary and manpage over the old ones. Leave the existing port in place so you can reuse its startup script (and so you can use portupgrade when a new version is released).

Daniel A. Deitch, President • iTrain Technologies, Ltd.

po box 13833 • atlanta, ga   30324 • 404-876-1929 (o)

404-935-5005 (f) • www.goitrain.com