Re: spamass-milter hangs on FreeBSD 5.3

From: Ludger Bolmerg
Subject: Re: spamass-milter hangs on FreeBSD 5.3
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 17:28:42 +0200 (CEST)

I just wanted to let you know that dropping back to libc_r solved the issue. spamass-milter is running for a few days now without any problem.

Thanks again for your help
Ludger Bolmerg

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Dan Nelson wrote:

In the last episode (Apr 05), Ludger Bolmerg said:
I am using spamass-milter 0.3.0 from the ports collection on FreeBSD
5.3.  SA version is 3.0.2 and sendmail 8.13.1

spamass-milter is running ok for a while before the process hangs.

ps   shows that the process is stopped
  798  ??  TLs   11:26.76 /usr/local/sbin/spamass-milter -f -p
/var/run/spamass-milter.sock

What does "ps axlHp 798" print?  That will print the all the threads
plus what they are doing in the kernel.  There were some deadlock fixes
that went into libpthread after 5.3 was released.  Until 5.4 is
released, you can drop back to libc_r threading with this entry in
/etc/libmap.conf.  It shouldn't hurt spamass-milter's performance since
it doesn't really use much CPU anyhow.

[spamass-milter]
libpthread.so.1 libc_r.so.5

ps also shows some idle spamc processes and a few zombies.

Unfortunately I cannot kill the spamass-milter process.  Even kill -9
do not remove the process from the system, so I am not able to create
a core dump.

You can use the "gcore" command to generate a coredump from a running
process. Handy in situations like this.

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden