Re: project status?

From: Bruce A. Mah
Subject: Re: project status?
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 08:25:15 -0700

[Resending so it might actually make it out to the list this time]

If memory serves me right, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I maintain he spamass-milter entry in pkgsrc.
>
> I see that the last release is 0.4.0, in 2014, and there are no NEWS
> entries after that.
>
> I was recently reminded of
>
>   https://github.com/andybalholm/spamass-milter
>
> and several things are unclear to me:
>
>   status of the spamass-milter project on savannah.nongnu.org.  It looks
>   to me like there has been no activity since 2014.
>
>   is andybalholm's repo some kind of fork
>
> None of this is intended as criticism; I understand that everyone has
> too many things to do and continuation forks are often appropriate.  I
> am simply asking that the current situation be clear on all sites that
> are or have been official or semi-official spamass-milter sites.
>
> It would be nice to have whatever status is available appear on the
> savannah page, perhaps as a NEWS entry.

Hi Greg--

I "maintain" spamass-milter for FreeBSD Ports (I use quotations because
there's really not a whole lot to do).  Our entry for spamass-milter
tracks the last release from savannah, with the addition of two patches
from the andybalholm repo.  I'd certainly be open to changing that
arrangement if appropriate and beneficial.

My experience with dormant open-source projects like this is that
getting some kind of official word/statement may be difficult.  I think
it's up to us as representatives of different operating systems to
decide which repository to track, whether to backport patches from one
to another, etc.  Admittedly my current approach is pretty much one of
"least effort", which might not be what you want to do.  :-)

Hope this helps,

Bruce.