Re: soc idea: Embed CLISP

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: soc idea: Embed CLISP
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:07:49 +0100

* Sam Steingold wrote on Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 04:19:15PM CET:
> * Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> [2009-01-25 10:47:41 +0100]:
> > * Sam Steingold wrote on Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 06:18:16AM CET:
> >> vim, for one, embeds perl, python, ruby (and I think something else
> >> too), so I think they will welcome this addition.
> >
> > Please talk to them _before_ the SoC application.
>
> this is not a vim-specific project.
> part of the project is to select the target application and negotiate
> the upstream patch acceptance before the project starts.

OK.  If it's not Vim-centric at all, then there might not be a problem.
If it is Vim-centric at all, then as a Google SoC-reviewer, I would
disapprove of this project, for this reason: if the Vim maintainers will
not accept this, then the project has already failed before it even
started.

No matter how unlikely non-acceptance is in practice, it makes your
proposal weaker, unnecessarily.  And since there are more than enough
other SoC proposals, the reviewer can just decide to give this one
thumbs-down.

> > It would not be good show if, say, Vim submitted an application for
> > adding CLISP support and both parties not knowing about each other.
> unlikely.

So you would, say, be willing to jeopardize this SoC application by
saving a couple of friendly emails?  I don't get it.

Please let this be a successful application: make it as good and
water-tight as possible.  Don't let it look any less than very
well-prepared, just like a job application.

And no, for this discussion it doesn't matter whether somebody at Google
judges this or someone does it internally for GNU.

Thanks,
Ralf