Re: New GNU project for GSOC 2012: combining Org and Picolisp

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: New GNU project for GSOC 2012: combining Org and Picolisp
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:08:57 -0500

Hello,

I took a quick look at the PicoLisp website, and I believe the reason
is that PicoLisp has database queries integrated very closely with the
language, which is nice for web applications.

However, I don't find this a compelling reason at all, since I would
guess anything that's done in PicoLisp could be easily implemented in
any other Lisp or Scheme. PicoLisp also advertises being small, but it
doesn't advertise that it will inevitably either grow, as it adds more
features, or disappoint users who want more features.

It seems like the most natural choice for an Org-mode-based website is
Emacs Lisp running in Emacs, because anyone who uses Org-mode has
Emacs around anyway. Guile is the next most natural, because 1) it's
another GNU project, 2) it has a web server built in, and 3) it
implements Emacs Lisp itself, so you could use Guile's ELisp
implementation with Guile's webserver and get a nice Org-mode-site
backend. (And of course there are plans to use Guile in Emacs, which
also makes Guile more interesting.)

But there's another consideration here, which is, what does the
student want to do? After all, if they're not interested, this can't
happen.

Noah