Re: [GSoC Mentors] [Announce] GSoC 2012: Mentor Summit Travel and Detail

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [GSoC Mentors] [Announce] GSoC 2012: Mentor Summit Travel and Details
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 11:18:40 +0200

Hi Jose,

address@hidden (Jose E. Marchesi) writes:

> Ok, after considering it I decided to ask Giuseppe Scrivano (the backup
> org admin) and Bastien (org-mode mentor) to be our delegates in the
> incoming mentors summit at Google.

Thanks!

> - It is good to have both an admin and a mentor attending the summit:
>   they will have the opportunity to discuss different aspects of the SoC
>   with other admins/mentors, which will be beneficial for the program.

Indeed.  I will try to write a post-mortem (post-partem?) report after
the GSoC is over.  Sharing this will surely help.

> I wanted to attend the event myself as the primary org admin, but it is
> too far away for a two-days event and I don't find the summit
> interesting enough to be worth the travel.  Thus the backup org admin
> will attend.  Before the event I will work with Giuseppe to make a list
> of suggestions for Google on how to improve the SoC from the point of
> view of orgs administration.  He will then have the opportunity to
> discuss these ideas with other admins/mentors in the summit.

One idea for future GSoC for GNU: GNU could let the mentors use a
percentage of the 500$ received for the project to finance something
related to the project.

For example, KDE is using the money received for each project to help
funding students to participate to the GSoC summit.

Surely Giuseppe and I will gather more ideas by discussing with folks
at the summit.

--
 Bastien