Re: [gnu-soc] [IMPORTANT] Next steps for participating projects and ment

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: Re: [gnu-soc] [IMPORTANT] Next steps for participating projects and mentors
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 08:50:59 +0200

Hi Urs.

    so far none of the groups who have asked for more than one made a
    differenciation between essential and desired slots.

I am actually rather skeptical on the numbers requested by the
maintainers.

    Therefore we have decided to go along with that trend in order not to
    get burnt for playing fair. So please change the slot requests for
    LilyPond from 1/2 to 2/2.

I just did the change, as requested, since it is up to you to decide how
many slots to ask for, and their kind.

Note however that it may be counter-productive for your interests, in
two ways.

First, when we ask google for the global number of essential/desired
slots, and these numbers are the same, it won't look good.  It basically
conveys the feeling that we do not really understand the difference
between essential and desired.  That will surely lead to get fewer slots
than the number of essential slots we get.

Second, ff we get fewer slots than the number requested (which is
unusual, but can happen) then we (the admins) will decide how to
distribute them, with no appeal.  I can tell you that a 1/2 really tells
us more than a 2/2, when it comes to decide what is really essential.

Anyway, its your call ;)