taler

Re: [Taler] USA regulatory thread part 1

From: Changaco
Subject: Re: [Taler] USA regulatory thread part 1
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 12:08:51 +0100

Your report on the situation in the USA matches what I've heard in the past.
You have to register in every state and it's expansive, whereas in the EU you
can operate with a single "e-money emitter" license that is probably much
cheaper to obtain. A Taler exchange in the USA should probably try to partner
with an existing money transmitter that already has a license instead of
starting from scratch. Then again that's also true in the EU.

> Check writing was not really a part of European banking culture.

European banking culture is less unified than you think, checks are still
widely used in France, though they're finally losing ground.

> That left me curious what the American equivalent of a SEPA transfer would be.

I'd say the US "equivalent" of SEPA is ACH.