taler

[Taler] Taler wallet charge terminal

From: Florian Jung
Subject: [Taler] Taler wallet charge terminal
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 13:40:43 +0200

Hi,

I want to build a wallet recharge terminal, i.e. a machine that eats real money banknotes and gives you Taler; for this project, I have a couple of questions:

Does previous work on this exist already? I know about the Taler snack vending machine, but IIUC, this is the opposite direction (eats taler, gives food). How are people charging their wallet in this setup?

What bank- or nonbank/nexus setup would be appropriate for such a terminal? Does it make sense to use a libeufin demobank setup where, for every real euro fed into the machine, the "central bank" wires a currency unit to the exchange's demobank account? Or would it be more appropriate to have a "banknote acceptor backend" for the nexus, and skip the demobank completely?

I'm gonna run this with a local currency, but am looking forward to Taler being offered by a real bank someday; in such a future, I would my merchants (all under my control) to support payments both in local currency *and* in euro-taler. I've seen that the contracts v1 protocol supports "alternative contracts".

Do I correctly assume that this would allow for "pay in euro only" and "pay in local currency only", but not (easily) allow the user to freely choose the ratio between EUR and LC (i.e. pay 81% by LC but the remaining 19% with euro)? (Though I could offer them a lot of such alternatives, so they could at least choose in steps of 10cent or something)

Also, what is the current state of NFC support in taler? Can I already use NFC for buying and charging my wallet? What specs would a NFC reader need to fulfil for that?

Thank you and cheers,

Florian