Re: Feature Request: make sane symlinks on remote host.

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Feature Request: make sane symlinks on remote host.
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 12:29:02 +0200

Steve Youngs <address@hidden> writes:

> |--==> "KG" == Kai Gro <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   KG> Steve Youngs <address@hidden> writes:
>   >>(make-symbolic-link "/[method/address@hidden/path/to/filename"
>   >>"/path/to/symlink-name")
>
>   >>And I'd be very happy with that. :-)
>
>   KG> Oh, boy.  So there should be a new file /path/to/symlink-name on
>   KG> the remote host, which is a symlink pointing to /path/to/filename
>   KG> on the same host?
>
> Yes, precisely!
>
>   KG> This is just weird.
>
> It's not weird at all.

If you want to create a new file on the remote host, why does not the
name of that file indicate that it's on the remote host?  That's what
I find weird.

I think it's okay if

    (make-symbolic-link "/path/to/filename"
                        "/address@hidden/path/to/symlink-name")

Creates a new file /path/to/symlink-name on the remote host which is
a symlink.  But I don't understand why

    (make-symbolic-link "/address@hidden/path/to/filename"
                        "/path/to/symlink-name")

should create a file on the remote host -- the filename
/path/to/symlink-name is clearly a local file name!

>   KG> Why don't you agree on putting the user/host spec on the source
>   KG> rather than the target?
>
> Because it makes more sense and is consistent with
> make-symbolic-link's arguments of 'FILENAME LINKNAME'.  Actually, just
> thinking about it some more, it would probably be better to do...
>
>   (make-symbolic-link "/[method/address@hidden/path/to/filename"
>                       "/[method/address@hidden/path/to/symlink-name")
>
> Providing that the Trampish parts of the names get stripped when
> writing it to disc.

I have changed Tramp such that the above behaves as you want.  So
this is the part we agree on.

I guess more discussion is still needed for the case where the
user/host is not given in both files.

kai