Re: emacs nt user question -- latest version

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: emacs nt user question -- latest version
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 12:43:09 +0200

"Thomas Haselberger" <address@hidden> writes:

> in the lisp dir, I typed make.

This seems good.

> still get the same for file-name-handler alist. and if I jump to the
> source from the help buffer, I get the fresh tramp.el version 2.154.

This is indeed quite fresh.

> should I go back from this version to find the last one that works
> for me ?

In this case, that doesn't make sense I think.  Maybe you have an old
version of Tramp lying around that contains the wrong variable
definition.  You can do M-x list-load-path-shadows RET to identify
that case.

Can you start "emacs -q -no-site-file", then do the load-path dance,
then use M-x locate-library RET to find out where tramp is, then load
it, then see if file-name-handler-alist has the right value?

Oh, one other idea: if you use an Emacs from CVS with the old version
of Tramp, then "make" on that Emacs has created loaddefs.el or
similar, which already sets file-name-handler-alist and
tramp-file-name-regexp to the wrong values.  And the defvar in
tramp.el doesn't overwrite the values if they have been set already.

In this case, you need to run "cvs update" in the Emacs directory and
build a new Emacs.  The Emacs should contain an updated version of
Tramp which uses the new format.

I will install the current Tramp version in Emacs soonish, but I
guess a little bit of testing wouldn't be a bad idea.

kai