Re: tramp freezes XEmacs on startup

From: lawrence mitchell
Subject: Re: tramp freezes XEmacs on startup
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 00:11:55 +0100

Mark Oberfield wrote:

> After consulting the Info pages on tramp and reviewing the FAQ I
> cannot determine what is wrong with my configuration of tramp.  It
> just seems to hang when attempting to fetch a file remotely.

> I am using tramp v2.0.12.

[...] tramp messages

> I've set the tramp-debug-buffer to 't

> $ ( test -d
> /staging/master/build/IFPS12/adapt/ifps/src/unld_to_zns/Makefile
> 2>/dev/null; echo tramp_exit_status $? )

> After this it just pauses for as long as I am willing to wait (several
> minutes).  The only way to regain control is to issue a ^G and the
> remote file never gets sucked in.

> My shell on the remote machine is /bin/tcsh and does not require any
> user interaction when logging in.  Documentation states that tramp is
> intelligent enough to determine the login shell and Do the Right
> Thing, yet I see very Bourne shell syntax here in the tramp-debug
> buffer.

I /think/ tramp requires a remote shell that is /bin/sh
compatible.  Though the test -d command does seem to return
correctly on the tcsh I have available.  Actually, no, after
logging in, tramp issues "exec /bin/sh", or whatever the value of
`tramp-remote-sh' is.
/----
|   * `tramp-remote-sh'
|     This specifies the Bourne shell to use on the remote host.  This
|     MUST be a Bourne-like shell.
\----

If that fails then tramp doesn't work.

Not sure why tramp just hangs completely though.

--
lawrence mitchell <address@hidden>