Re: tramp (2.0.14); tramp hangs when storing files >1000 bytes

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.14); tramp hangs when storing files >1000 bytes
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:50:52 +0200

address@hidden (Bjørn Nordbø) writes:

> ssh bastion.host uudecode -p \>/home/b/bn/ttt <<'EOF'
>
> EOF

No, no.  That's not what I meant.

You have to interactively log in to the remote host by doing

    ssh bastion.host

from the shell, then doing

    ssh real.host

from there, and so on.  Just like the multi-hop filename that you
used requires.  And when you have reached the final host, you need to
put the following lines in the X cut buffer or in the clipboard or
something:

    uudecode -p > /bome/b/bn/ttt <<'EOF'
    ...lots of uuencoded data here...
    EOF

Then you paste those lines into the shell.

My guess is that it will fail if you paste the lines in one go, and
it will work if you paste them in smaller chunks.

If you don't have an X cut buffer or clipboard to keep these lines,
it might work to do it all from Emacs: after M-x shell RET you can
enter the ssh commands, and you can use C-y to paste the lines into
the *shell* buffer.  (And then I think you have to hit RET to
actually send them.)

My university mail account doesn't work over the weekend.  But mail
to the Tramp list and to address@hidden will reach me.

kai