Re: Custom multi-hop methods?

From: Dan L. Pierson
Subject: Re: Custom multi-hop methods?
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 16:24:44 -0000

--On Friday, October 04, 2002 10:13:38 PM +0200 Kai Großjohann <address@hidden> wrote:

"Dan L. Pierson" <address@hidden> writes:

Is there any easy way to create a custom multi-hop method?

Yes, that's not so difficult, given a little bit of Lisp knowledge.
But it's not what you want :-)

Lisp knowledge I have, time to understand the rather impressive Tramp
implementation is a bit harder to come by :-)

Right.  Filename abbreviations is a topic which seems to come up
regularly.  I thought that environment variables are good enough and
therefore I didn't build any of this into Tramp.  For instance, you
can do

(setenv "xx" "/multi:ssh:address@hidden:sudo:address@hidden:")

And then you can type

C-x C-f $xx/path/to/file RET

How does it sound?

The problem with this is that I'll need a separate env var for each
remote machine...  (The only substitutable parameters in my example
were 'foo.bar' and '/path/to/file'.  Of course everyone else probably
wants a different set.)

I've been persuaded that this is no real solution, so within the next
few decades (heh) you can expect an abbrev mechanism.  But until
then, maybe this is a workable kludge.

I may have to live with multiple env vars.  I took a quick look through
the Tramp sources before my first message and it did look like a new
mechanism (can you say macros?) is required.  I may look again if any
copious spare time comes up :-)

  dan