Re: Crazy idea: generate a pseudo-random value for tramp-end-of-output

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Crazy idea: generate a pseudo-random value for tramp-end-of-output
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:25:21 +0200

Francis Litterio <address@hidden> writes:

> Now, every Emacs session gets a cryptographically secure random value
> for tramp-end-of-output.  The liklihood of it appearing in the output of
> a remote command is very small.

Note that I've selected "/////" because it can't appear in the output
of the shell commands that Tramp normally uses, such as "ls -l".  In
this case, I'm _sure_ that the prompt won't occur.  For your
suggestion it's just _unlikely_ :-)

This was also the main reason why I didn't incorporate Daniel's
change.

The second reason for not incorporating the change is that people
might see strange behavior which cannot be reproduced.  I don't like
bugs that go away if you look at them.  Therefore I wanted to have a
fixed prompt so that people who complain about a misbehavior can at
least reproduce the problem when I ask them.

But I can see that the issue is different for
tramp-handle-shell-command, where the string "/////" might indeed
occur.

Your (and Daniel's) suggestion could easily be extended to deal with
the first problem I'm mentioning above, by including "///" in the
prompt.  But I don't know how to deal with the second issue.

Ideas?

kai